Monday, September 2 to Saturday, September 7, 9.45pm at Campo Santo
In the event of bad weather, there will be no alternative venue.
The Visa pour l'Image evening shows will cover the main events of the past year, from September 2012 to August 2013. Every evening, from Monday to Saturday, the program will begin with a chronological review of these news stories, two months at a time. This is followed by reports and features on society, wars, stories that have made the news and others that have been kept quiet, plus coverage of the state of the world today. Visa pour l'Image also presents retrospectives of major events and figures in history. The Visa pour l'Image award ceremonies are held during the evening programs.
Featuring in the 2013 Festival program:
- News stories of the year across the continents: war, crises, politics, strange and remarkable events, sport, culture, science, the environment etc.
- Egypt, Tunisia, Syria - recent report & update
- The financial crisis and poverty - still going on, in Spain, Portugal, Greece and other countries
- The war in Mali - causes and consequences.
- Scientific expeditions from the Arctic to Papua New Guinea
And also: South Africa, the Democratic Republic of Congo, children of Uganda afflicted by a strange illness, Haiti, Israel/ Palestine after Operation Pillar of Defense, Ukraine, Brazil, Argentina, and the effects of genetically engineered agriculture, El Salvador, Vietnam, Korea, Russia, Japan, the United States of America, Italy and the Italian elections
• Counter-culture (mainly music). Going over a century of anti-, counter- and alternative movements.
Underground culture, counter-culture, and all those people who don't fit the mold, who devised their own sound and visual identities, offering wide scope for us to explore.
• Tributes to Walgney Assis Carvalho, Philippe Chaffanjon, Hugo Chavez, Luis Choy, Gérard Géry, Gigi Giannuzzi, Benoît Gysembergh, Stéphane Hessel, Daniele Lo Presti, Oscar Niemeyer, Willy Rizzo, Philippe Roulet, Jean-Claude Sauer, Ravi Shankar, Margaret Thatcher, Olivier Voisin...
• Video Books: "My Piece of Sky" by Mariella Furrer, "The Western Front" by Stanley Greene, "Uncle Charlie" by Marc Asnin, "Photojournalists on War" by Michael Kamber, "War/Photography" by Anne Wilkes Tucker.
- Cambodia - the death of Norodom Sihanouk, October 2012
• Twenty-five years ago, Visa pour l'Image was born, in 1989 - quite a year for news stories - presented here as a brief chronological review. 25 years ago - already!